Canada’s work visa and permanent residence are becoming the most sought-after documents by many foreign citizens. People are searching for ways to obtain either a Canadian work visa or permanent residence, still, they are lost with where to start their application process. If you are one of the people, then you should be glad because the article will give you everything you need to know about a Canada work visa and permanent residence.
Canada Work Visa
The only time you should apply for a Canada work permit is when you have gotten a Canadian employment contract. The Canadian employer will apply for an Employment and Social Development Canada and Labour Market Impact Assessment form to permit them to accept foreign workers.
The Canadian government has a rule that every Canadian employer has to follow. Which is making sure they only employ foreigners where there is no Canadian citizen for the job. It is advisable to wait for when you are being employed to apply for the work visa. Also, you can use Y-Axis to search for a Canadian job and Canada work visa too.
Read also: How to Apply for Canada Visa, Types and Requirements
Benefits of Canada Work Visa
There are benefits attached to you having the Canada work visa:
- Get employment from a Canadian employer
- Have the privilege to apply for dependent visas
- Earn wages or income in Canadian dollars
- Explore different provinces in Canada
- Apply for Canada permanent residence visa
What are the General Criteria for Canada Work Visa?
- You must be willing to migrate back to your country of residence when your Canada work visa expires.
- Proof of financial statement to indicate you can sponsor yourself and your loved ones in Canada.
- No criminal record and you can submit a police clearance certificate as proof.
- Good medical statement to show you are free from illnesses.
- Have no ambition to work for an ineligible Canadian employer, etc.
- Have no ambition to work for a Canadian employer offering striptease, erotic dance, erotic massage, etc.
Essential Documents for Canada Work Visa
- An original and valid passport of over six months
- Two recent passport photographs
- Educational certificates
- Proof of working experience
- Proof of adequate finance
- Medical examination record
- Application fee
Types of Canada Work Visa
We have three types of Canadian work visas:
Closed Work Permits:
Many Canadian work visas are closed work visas that require you to obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment. A foreign worker requires a closed work visa to work in key positions for some specific Canadian employer. Some of these closed work permits are:
- LMIA Work Permits
- Facilitated LMIA
- Global Talent Stream
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
Open Work Permits:
The open work permit allows foreign workers to get employed in any position in Canada. There is no occupation restriction to open work visas and they don’t require Labour Market Impact Assessment. You can apply for this type of work visa when you don’t have a job. Some examples of open work visas:
- NAFTA Work Permit
- Intra-Company Transfers
- International Mobility Program (IMP)
- LMIA-Exempt Work Permits
- CETA Work Permits
Closed LMIA-exempt Work Permits:
The work visa permits foreign workers to get employed by a specific Canadian employer in a particular position, but you don’t need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment. Some of these Closed LMIA-exempt work permits:
- International Experience Canada (IEC)
- Spouse Accompanying International Student
- Spousal Sponsorship from Inside of Canada
- Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)
- Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP)
Read also: Full Requirements to Apply for Canada Student Visa
Canada Permanent Residence
It is a type of residence that allows you to stay in Canada permanently. For instance, if you are a Gabonese, then you migrate to Canada after staying there for like five years without leaving the country, you can get the Canada permanent residence status. On the other hand, the permanent residents must have certain criteria like the residency obligation.
If you are lucky to get Canadian permanent residence, then you are qualified to apply for the Canadian permanent resident card. The card shows your permanent residence status in Canada. As a result, you are free to travel in and out of Canada anytime you want. If you want to appt for the PR Card, then you will have to go through the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Benefits of Canada Permanent Residence
- Free accessibility to healthcare and social amenities in Canada
- The freedom to study, work, and live anywhere in Canada
- The right to enter and leave Canada’s border through the aid of a Permanent resident travel document and Canadian permanent residence card.
- The eligibility to apply for Canadian citizenship when meeting the requirements.
Read also: A Complete Guide to Study and Work in Canada
Different Ways to Become Canada Permanent Residence
Generally, we have four ways to become Canadian permanent residents:
- Economic immigration
- Business immigration
- Refugee/Humanitarian Program
It refers to the type of immigration programs that can influence the Canadian economy positively. The major reason is to attract skilled individuals to Canada. When there is a shortage of skilled workers in the Canadian labor force, the government of that province could decide to employ skilled workers from other countries through Economic Immigration. Also, if you are successful, you can obtain permanent residence status.
Canada has ample wealth opportunities for business savvy personalities or entrepreneurs to boost the Canadian economy. They are aware if they employ you with your business ideas, it will create more job opportunities for their citizens. You are eligible to get permanent residency and they will assist you to get back your business.
There are sponsorship programs for permanent residents or Canadian citizens to invite their loved ones to Canada. As a result, the invited family can become Canadian permanent residents. A perfect example is the family sponsorship programs for Canadian citizens to bring their family members or spouse to Canada. The processing time for family sponsorship is not complicated.
If you present yourself in Canadian border or Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada, then you will be in an asylum. Also, before the Canadian government will grant you a stay in their country as an asylum, you will undergo criminality checks, biographic, security, and biometrics.
DO YOU WISH TO STUDY or WORK IN CANADA? COMPLETE THE BELOW ASSESSMENT AND SECURE YOUR POSITION.
What gender do you identify as?
What is your age?
What is your marital status?
What is the highest degree or level of education you have completed?
What is your current employment status?
Which languages are you capable of speaking fluently?
Which one of the following categories best describes your job position or primary role?
How many years have you worked in your current position?
How many hours a week do you volunteer?
How would you describe your general health?
Do you identify as someone with a disability or impairment?
Share your Results:
Canada work visa and permanent residence are two things that can make your stay in Canada amazing. A Canadian work visa allows you to work in Canada, while permanent residence makes you eligible for some benefits from the Canadian government.